[b-hebrew] Synonym clusters or technical terms?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Jul 15 06:50:46 EDT 2004

On 15/07/2004 04:08, James Bowick wrote:

>I have been using Ken Penner's Flash!Pro software to learn vocabulary, and
>am learning a lot of words quickly.  One of the things I have noticed is,
>based on the translations, there seem to be a few English words that have a
>number of Hebrew words.  There are a number of Hebrew words that are
>translated 'turn' (with variations - 'turn back', ') and a large number that
>are translated 'cattle.'  Especially in the latter case, the variety of
>Hebrew words for cattle, given their culture, would appear to reflect
>technical terms, and to have differentiated meanings.  Is this the case or
>are they synonyms.  To ask the question differently, to what extent do the
>sematic domains overlap?

I can't help much with cattle, but on the analogous issue with sheep and
goats see Lucy Lincoln's article "Translating Hebrew and Greek Terms for
Sheep and Goats", in The Bible Translator vo.47 no.3 (1996),
http://rosetta.reltech.org/TBT/CD3/1996/03/TBT199603.html.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/