[b-hebrew] Synonym clusters or technical terms?

James Bowick bowick at idirect.com
Wed Jul 14 23:08:40 EDT 2004

I have been using Ken Penner's Flash!Pro software to learn vocabulary, and
am learning a lot of words quickly.  One of the things I have noticed is,
based on the translations, there seem to be a few English words that have a
number of Hebrew words.  There are a number of Hebrew words that are
translated 'turn' (with variations - 'turn back', ') and a large number that
are translated 'cattle.'  Especially in the latter case, the variety of
Hebrew words for cattle, given their culture, would appear to reflect
technical terms, and to have differentiated meanings.  Is this the case or
are they synonyms.  To ask the question differently, to what extent do the
sematic domains overlap?

Thank you,

James Bowick