[b-hebrew] Kadeshah

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 14 20:24:26 EDT 2004

David:

You are assuming that ancient Israel’s historians would not write anything unless they approved of them, which was the practice of much of the ancient Levant. Others take the understanding that those historians were so demanding of historical accuracy that they included, warts and all, failings of the patriarchs as well as their greatnesses. The second understanding allows accurate records to be made without assuming approval of what is condemned elsewhere.

If we take the traditional view that all of Tanakh is to be counted as context for all other parts, then Malachi 3:6 that says that God doesn’t change also includes his condemnation of immorality. In that regard, what Judah did with Tamar was wrong. In fact, so wrong that there was no need to dwell on it.

Karl W. Randolph.