[b-hebrew] Exodus 15:22 the first word

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 14 19:06:58 EDT 2004

Chris:

When looking at an unpointed text, it is the context that tells whether or not a verb is hiphil with a dropped yod, or another form.

In this case, the context does not call for a specific hiphil reading: it could be a qal reading “And Moses broke camp, with Israel
” There is no need for a hiphil reading, for Moses did not make Israel break camp, rather they were following God in the form of a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night (Exodus 13:17–22). It was God doing the leading, not Moses. Thus the context, along with its form, argue against this being a hiphil.

Karl W. Randolph.