[b-hebrew] Zonah v Qadeshah in Gen 38 - Locals

david.kimbrough at charter.net david.kimbrough at charter.net
Wed Jul 14 16:37:21 EDT 2004

OK, I will accept that Judah thought that woman by the road with whom he negotiated a kid from sex was a common whore (zonah) rather than a ritual one (kadeshah).  I will also accept that when Judah heard that Tamar was pregnant he thought she was a zonah as well.  That is why he sentenced her to be burned to death.

My question is here.  Why was the Adullamite looking for a kadeshah when Judah clear thought of the woman by the roadside as zonah?  If the "locals" understood the Hebrew word kadeshah, why would they not understand the Heberw word zonah?  They are both Hebrew words.  The omniscient narrator was carefull to use two different Hebrew words for the Hebrew speaking audiance.

It would seem that there was a different social valuation of a kadeshah vs. a zonah in the story.