[b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2Kings 23.7?

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 10:04:54 EDT 2004

  In both  Kuntillet Ajrud and Kh. el-Qum a pronnominal suffix is attached to what is trasliterated in English as "asherah", making the meaning clearly "his asherah". Now personal names , like Asherah can not be declined in BH.  There aqre no occurrences of "my Jacob", "your Rachel", or "his Asherah" with the pronominal suffix attached. This leads to the conclusion that Yahweh's asherah in both inscriptions refers to a magic pole or some other cultic implement rather than to a consort. This is in agreement with Peter and Harold.
  This interpetation is however disputed by many scholars who regard these two inscriptions as strong evidence for a different type of Yahweh worship.

Uri