[b-hebrew] "Sodomite" in 2 Kings 23.7 & Homosexuality

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jul 14 04:29:22 EDT 2004

The answer to your theory is in what Yigal wrote:

>In all of
>these, it refers to something that the Bible regards negatively, some
>forbidden practice. Since the root QD$ is usually related to things
>"sacred", one would assume that here, too, the reference is to some
>forbidden cultic activity.

Furthermore, in many of the references QADESH is linked to the
idolatrous practices of the neighbouring nations. It is clear that, to
the faithful Israelites who wrote the Bible books, this was something
alien, idolatrous and detestable which had been imported into Israelite
religion by syncretists. Ritual sex for cultic purposes was indeed never
a part of normative Yahwism. But the Bible repeatedly tells us that
non-normative pagan practices were imported into Yahwism, and condemned
by the biblical authors. Even without the explicit references, we would
expect cultic prostitution to be one of these practices. 2 Kings 23:7 is
one of the passages in which these practices are condemned, in that they
were stamped out by Josiah who is commended as the ideal faithful king
(v.25).

So, although we cannot be sure exactly what a QADESH did, we cannot
argue that it was not temple prostitution because this was not an
Israelite practice. Israelite practice in the pre-exilic period did not
always match the ideals of the Deuteronomist, and the texts bear witness
to that in their condemnations. Indeed, at times, such as the reign of
Manasseh, Israelite practice was much like that of the surrounding
nations, including child sacrifice (2 Kings 21:6), and the use of the
word QADESH in association with such periods suggests that temple
prostitution was included.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/