[b-hebrew] Explain translation of "Asherah" as "grove" in 2Kings 23.7?

Reinier de Blois r.de.blois at solcon.nl
Wed Jul 14 03:08:37 EDT 2004

Hi Dora,

> OK, now my question.  How did "Asherah" get to be translated
> as "grove"? Apparently she wasn't even represented as a grove!

Well, this is the King James Version you are talking about. In the
1600's people hadn't done much archeology yet so they could only guess
after the meaning of words like asherah. The Dutch translation that was
done around the same time has "grove" as well. None of the modern
translations render asherah as "grove".

Best wishes,

Reinier de Blois