[b-hebrew] Amalekites again!

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Jul 12 10:29:21 EDT 2004

Dear Chris,

>I have gathered quite some fascinating information about Amalek but I am
>still busy trying to reconcile the two statements in Exodus and Deutoronomy
>where it is said: "Remember what  Amalek did.... therefore you shall erase
>the memory of Amalek etc..." Bearing in mind a host of other nations who
>opposed Israel one is perplexed at the importance to remember Amalek AND
>erase NOT AMALEK but the memory of him.  I know that some may say that this
>is one and the same thing but there are too many lose ends with this
>conclusion.

HH: The statement to remember Amalek is explained:

Deut. 25:17 ¶ Remember what the Amalekites did to
you along the way when you came out of Egypt.
Deut. 25:18 When you were weary and worn out,
they met you on your journey and cut off all who
were lagging behind; they had no fear of God.
Deut. 25:19 When the LORD your God gives you rest
from all the enemies around you in the land he is
giving you to possess as an inheritance, you
shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under
heaven. Do not forget!

HH: The reason Israel is to remember Amalek is so
that they will destroy them later when they are
in a position to do so. God wants to judge
Amalek. By destroying them Israel will as a
result be instrumental in the memory of them
fading.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard