[b-hebrew] Interpretation of Biblical Hebrew, or Harold, is this your methodology?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Jul 7 22:24:41 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

>In other words, you don’t have a methodology.

HH: I have a methodology. But when I'm critiquing
obvious errors in your translation ideas (you
didn't usually give a translation of the verse),
I don't have to go through all the steps needed
in a lexical word study.

>What do you do when two or more of the experts
>that you depend on hold contradictory and
>mutually exclusive position? How do you
>determine which position is correct?

HH: I do further research and thinking.

>My answers:
>
>1) a good methodology does not depend on whether
>or not we like the results. In fact, the
>Biblical PoV is not cherry picking the portions
>of the Bible that we like, tickling our ears. It
>is taking the whole text, even the portions that
>we don’t like. BTW, how many times have you read
>Tanakh, starting with Genesis and reading
>through Chronicles? In Hebrew?

HH: I felt that you were wrong. It's not just
that I did not like the results. I've read the
Bible in Hebrew quite a bit.

>BTW what is your take on my application of my methodology on Proverbs 1:19?

HH: You had:

Such are the roads of those who take a cut of the
loot; unjust gain takes over the life of its
owner.

HH: It's all right. I might use a broader
translation applicable to more settings. I might
substitute "ways" or "paths" for "roads" and
"seek" or "take" "unjust gain" for "take a cut of
the loot." The cognate phrase occurs in six
verses and seem broader in scope than just taking
a cut of the loot, although that could work well
here. Also, I think it is better to say that
unjust gain "takes away the life." The verb LQX
is sometimes used for the removal of life (1
Kings 19:10, 14; Ps 31:14; Jon 4:3).

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard