[b-hebrew] Interpretation of Biblical Hebrew, or Harold, is this your methodology?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 7 21:37:19 EDT 2004

Dear Harold:

In other words, you don’t have a methodology.

What do you do when two or more of the experts that you depend on hold contradictory and mutually exclusive position? How do you determine which position is correct?

>From my understanding, the following are the reasons that you don’t like my methodology:

1) It comes up with a result that you don’t like. “It was the results you came up with on the verb XBL and the translation ideas that you produced for verses that used it.”

2) All scholars and traditions disagree with me. “compare your results with the findings of other people. And give the results of others the respect that they deserve.” and “So if they  agree, and agree with many other translations, you have to have good reasons for disagreeing.” and “I don't know what makes you think you can ditch the almost uniform conclusions of lexicons, commentaries, and translations”

3) I didn’t answer in detail to your posting. “You aren't even willing to defend your results on most of the verses that we have discussed.”

My answers:

1) a good methodology does not depend on whether or not we like the results. In fact, the Biblical PoV is not cherry picking the portions of the Bible that we like, tickling our ears. It is taking the whole text, even the portions that we don’t like. BTW, how many times have you read Tanakh, starting with Genesis and reading through Chronicles? In Hebrew?

2) This goes back to my upbringing—the excuse “Everybody is doing it” didn’t wash. If something is right, even if I’m the only person in the world doing it, I am to do right.

I now carry that over in to the academic world. Even if 100% of the world’s scholars disagree with me, that does not mean that they are right. Further, I know I approach my studies with enough of a different PoV that there is almost certain to be times where I will disagree with them. Yes, I look at what they say, but I do not think that they are inspired or better than I. That is why I say that a good methodology is more important than any particular result it gives—the result could be an improper application of the methodology.

Notice my first step, which is to erase over 1000 years of tradition, the points that all scholars depend on and upon which they all base their work.

BTW what is your take on my application of my methodology on Proverbs 1:19?

3) I didn’t have the time. Copying and pasting other people’s word takes seconds. Careful, scholarly answers can take hours, especially when accompanied by double checking, after which comes the time to present the case. If you want to take one verse at a time, fine, but I didn’t have the time to answer a whole slew of verses at one time.

It took hours with the Song of Songs verse, then you just sluffed off my answer.

Karl W. Randolph.