[b-hebrew] Z-N-V smite the hindmost...

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Jul 7 11:15:57 EDT 2004

Dear Chris,

>Hallo,  a quick question concerning the direct object of this piel verb in
>the only 2 occurrences in scripture.
>
>1.  In Joshua 10:19 we see the direct object marker and the plural suffix.
>
>2. But in Deut 25:18 can not this verse be more precisely translated as 'in
>you'? For semantic purposes then leading to the idea that the congregation
>of Israel is a BODY and the Amalekites were curtailing/cutting a part of
>that body away?

HH: The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew says that the preposition "B"
with this verb at Deut 25:18 suggests place, with a sense like "'in,'
'among,' or 'from.' They give the meaning of the verb as "'cut off
rear,' 'attack from behind,' perhaps 'massacre rearguard' or 'cut off
retreat.'"

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard