[b-hebrew] Re: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Jul 3 10:29:00 EDT 2004

Dear Lira,

>You are correct in pointing out that most
>modern commentators would agree with Eduard's view, since Antiochus's
>activities are considered the historical fulfillment of this prophecy. This
>is based, I believe, mainly on the interpretation of Josephus and of the
>book of Maccabees itself. In my opinion, however, commentators became so
>fixed on this interpretation that they lost track of Jesus'own
>interpretation to the prophecy (Matt. 24:15; Luke 21:20).

HH: It is possible that Matt 24:15 is referring
to Dan 8:14, but it is it clearly referring to
Dan 11-12.

Dan. 11:31 ¶  "His armed forces will rise up to
desecrate the temple fortress and will abolish
the daily sacrifice. Then they will set up the
abomination that causes desolation.
Dan. 12:11 ¶  "From the time that the daily
sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that
causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290
days.

HH: Can this refer to Antiochus Epiphanes? The
prophetic narrative in Daniel 11 suggests that
Dan 11:31 does. But Dan 12:11 refers to the
earlier events of Dan 12:1, which surpass what
happened in the time of Antiochus. Keil wrote
about the seeming change in subject at Dan
11:36ff.:

This is only so far right, that that which is
said regarding this king, vers. 36-39, partly
goes far beyond what Antiochus did, partly does
not harmonize with what is known of Antiochus,
and finally, partly is referred in the N.T.
expressly to the Antichrist; cf. v. 36 with 2
Thess, 2:4, and ch. 12:1 with Matt 24:21. These
circumstances are not satisfactorily explained by
the remark that the prophecy regarding Antiochus
glances forward to the Antichrist, or that the
image of the type (Antiochus) hovers in the image
of the antitype (Antichrist) ; they much rather
show that in the prophetic contemplation there is
comprehended in the image of ONE king what has
been historically fulfilled in its beginnings by
Antiochus Epiphanes, but shall only meet it
complete fulfillment by the Antichrist in the
time of the end.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard