[b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jul 2 15:22:47 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: RGmyrken at aol.com

Russell:

This is interesting. We know that later after David became king, his troops were called “hoplites” הפלתי which I opined is a Philistine loan word into Hebrew. Apparently the Philistines were not only armed with steel while most of their foes still had bronze, if anything, but that they also developed battle tactics that were so good that the Greeks were still using them centuries later. A downside is that those tactics required an almost full-time army, hence a Philistine need for vassel nations giving tribute to maintain their armies.

It is known that much of Greek civilization was copied from other sources in the Levant, it would not surprise me that this is one more copy into Greek society.

Karl W. Randolph.