[b-hebrew] Benjamin

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jul 2 12:33:56 EDT 2004

Dear Dave,

>?? I thought the "on" in this verse meant "sorrow," as in "son of my
>sorrow/distress," and Jacob chose to give him a less depressing name.

HH: The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew agrees with you, and tags the
word in Gen 35:18 as )NH ("oneh"), meaning "distress," "mourning," or
"weariness." That is the interpretation I have always heard, but I
was trying to look at it from others' perspectives. The text in
Genesis has )WoNiY, so it certainly seems capable of being a suffixed
form of either the word )WoN ("strength") or )fWeN ("trouble,
distress"), as well as the term chosen by DCH.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard