[b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jul 2 12:09:51 EDT 2004

On 02/07/2004 03:44, George F. Somsel wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Come, now.  I'm sure you know that Benjamin BiN:YfMIN meant
> "Southern."  They were "rednecks."  :-)  Just kidding, all you U.S.
> southerners.  It does, however, refer to the south.  The orientation
> when calculating directions was toward the east so that to the "right"
> was the south and )aXa:RoWN > )aXa:R"Y (behind) was west.
>
> george
> gfsomsel

George, please stop insulting me and then trying to hide it with a bad
joke aout rednecks. I do NOT know that the word means "Southern". I
agree that YAMIN can mean "south", but it can also mean "right hand" -
and that is not just evangelical derivation from Gen 35:18, it is the
basic meaning given by BDB. As for why this particular tribe or tribal
ancestor was called this, we really have no idea, except that Gen 35:18
might offer a clue. Probably not because he was right-handed, but the
name can still mean "right-handed" - just as your name means "farmer"
although you were probably not given it because you are a farmer.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/