[b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jul 2 09:58:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:39:36 -0500 "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb at touchwood.net>
writes:

> GFS: I'm sure you know that Benjamin BiN:YfMIN meant "Southern."
> They were "rednecks."  :-)  Just kidding, all you U.S. southerners.
>

> SB: Actually, rednecks aren't exclusively Southerners (in my
> generation
> we still capitalize it), but any rural population whose necks are
> sunburned from long days bending over the plow.
>
> GFS:It does, however, refer to the south.
>
> SB: Does it? In light of their consistent characterization mightn't
> the
> b'nei Yamin be banditti calling themselves something like 'Sons of
> the
> Strongarm' - and denoting their elite as something like the Masonic
> 'handfast'?

Well, I suppose that's possible; however, it should not be forgotten that
Judah seems according to some traditions (and minimalist historians) to
have been somewhat separate from the northern tribes prior to any real or
fabulistic split of a united monarchy.  That would put Benjamin on the
southern border.  Who knows for sure at this point?  More to come, I'm
sure.

george
gfsomsel