[b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron

George F. Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Fri Jul 2 06:44:16 EDT 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:23:07 -0700 Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org>
writes:
> On 01/07/2004 22:30, david.kimbrough at charter.net wrote:
>
> >George,
> >
> >Ignoring the fact that only about %10 of any population
> >will be  left-handed, ...
> >

> This may be true of any general population. But left-handedness is
> at
> least partly hereditary. The Benjamites were a small inbred group
> who
> could well have had an unusually high proportion of left-handers,
> and
> these might have been specially chosen for training as sling men -
> just
> as you will find an unusually high proportion of left-handers among
> spin
> bowlers in cricket, and professional boxers I think.
>
> There is of course an irony here in that Benjamin means "son of
> right
> hand" i.e. right-handed!

Peter,

Come, now.  I'm sure you know that Benjamin BiN:YfMIN meant "Southern."
They were "rednecks."  :-)  Just kidding, all you U.S. southerners.  It
does, however, refer to the south.  The orientation when calculating
directions was toward the east so that to the "right" was the south and
)aXa:RoWN > )aXa:R"Y (behind) was west.

george
gfsomsel