earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Jul 2 00:03:34 EDT 2004

Dear Karl,

Karl: In closing, if you are unconvinced, you are unconvinced. I am
unconvinced of the majority scholarly reading. It does not fit what I
know of languages in general nor of Biblical Hebrew in particular. I am
not here to enforce my understanding on others, but I will defend it
unless you can give me good reasons not to. So far no one has.

HH: That's why I spent so much time on Song of
Solomon 2:15. What translation are you going with
there now after all the efforts I made to justify
the traditional translation? This time I use
NASB, since you thought NIV was paraphrastic.
NASB and NIV basically agree in their handling of
XBL in all these verses.

HH: NASB has for Song 2:15:

"(32) Catch the foxes for us,
           The little foxes that are ruining the vineyards,
           While our (33) vineyards are in blossom."

Karl: Isaiah 13:5 one of the meanings I
recognized for XBL חנל is to
pack up to carry away, in order to despoil the
land.

HH: Would you just substitute "pack up" for "destroy"?  NASB has:

  They are coming from a far country,