[b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jul 1 23:03:11 EDT 2004

Dear Brian:

In the passage, twice it is mentioned that Goliath was going back and
forth between the two encampments, "going and approaching" with his
shield bearer in front of him. The last time omits mention of the
shield bearer.

I remember reading in Xenophon's Anabasis that slingers were an
integral part of the army, and that a well placed stone was deadly.
Presumably Goliath saw the sling so he was ready for a battle, so he
would be carrying the shield himself the last time.

Karl W. Randolph.