[b-hebrew] Umberto Cassuto

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Jan 30 07:19:15 EST 2004

On 29/01/2004 20:33, Michael Abernathy wrote:

>I hope this is not too far off topic. I am doing some research on Exodus and I would like to know whether Umberto Cassuto's commentary on Exodus is considered dated?

It is given two stars in the SIL publication "A Directory of Exegetical
Aids for Bible Translators", Compiled by Anthony G. Pope and R. Vernon
Ritter, 2001 revised edition - one of only two technical commentaries on
Exodus so rated. There is a note "Conservative; helpful exegesis; treats
as a unified whole." Note that "treats as a unified whole" is important
for translators who have to work with the text before them, whatever
their view of the original sources; commentaries which discuss only
reconstruction of sources are not much use for translators.

The other two star technical commentary is Durham in the Word series.
Sarna's JPS commentary also has two stars but in the less technical
category.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/