[b-hebrew] Yam Suph "Reed" Sea ?

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sun Jan 25 10:18:12 EST 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 07:12, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:
> As many are aware a controversy exists on whether the Hebrew Yam Suph means
> "Sea of Reeds" or not. The notion that reeds are suggested is drawn from Ex
> 2:3 by some scholars -

[snip]
To try and bring this back to a b-hebrewish topic, it seems to me that one of
the questions we need to be asking is: was "suph" a technical name for a
particular kind of reed with a distinctive shape, size and growing condition,
or perhaps a more general term for visible aquatic plants, whether freshwater
or saltwater?  Has anybody looked into this?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur