[b-hebrew] Aegean Ethnic determinatives on Philistine guards of Judean kings in Kings and Samuel?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Jan 24 19:31:48 EST 2004

On 25/01/2004 04:07, Dora Smith wrote:

>In his pretty much excellent but not perfect work, "Egypt, Canaan, and
>Israel" in Ancient Times", Donald Redford says, "Interestingly, both
>"Carians" and "Cretans" appear as ethnic indicators in the lists of
>bodyguards of Judaean kings recruited from Philistia."  In the footnote he
>cites only, "2 Sam. 20:23; 2 Kings 11:4, 19" for his source on that
>remarkable idea.
>
>The entire sentence makes no sense whatever to me.  Does it make sense to
>anybody?

I think all he means is that in those verses in 2 Kings we find the word
KARIY "Carite" or "Carian"; in 2 Samuel 20:23 the word may be KARIY
"Carian" (Ketiv) or K:RETIY "Kerethite" or perhaps "Cretan" (Qere). The
latter word is found undisputed in about ten places. The references are
all to the royal bodyguard of Judah.

>I know that Egyptian part phonetic, part syllabic hieroglyphic writing has
>"determinatives" after many proper nouns to indicate things abouat that
>noun, such as whether it is a person's name, a place or a people, or a god.
>
>I am not aware of Hebrew having any such feature.  My Hebrew bible is
>straight Hebrew characters.
>
>Waht is he talking about - and if "determinatives" are there, what do they
>really say and mean?

There are no special determinatives, just words or names apparently
indicating the ethnic or geographical origin of these people.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/