[b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Jan 21 07:23:39 EST 2004

Let me remind you. You wrote:

>True, an organization like SIL might work in several different languages and want a coherent system of writing all of them; but Semitists have got along for quite some time now without such devices. Their needs have not changed dramatically in recent years, either.

But if you are going to produce a multi-script dictionary like BDB, but
with computer technology rather than hot metal, you need a coherent
system for writing each of those scripts. If Semitists have got on
without such devices, it is only because they have not tried to
reproduce BDB with computer technology but have allowed their
publications to be less multi-script than they used to be.

It would be interesting to speculate whether limitations of computer
(and, earlier, typewriter) technology have driven the general 20th
century move to use more transliteration. But I can name at least one
work in which Hebrew was transliterated rather than written in script
because of computer technology limitations (of 15 years ago): my MA
dissertation from London Bible College, in which I was able to use Greek
script but was forced to transliterate the few Hebrew words I used.

If the editors of a new Hebrew dictionary etc today try to use multiple
scripts, they will find that they need a technology like Unicode, or
TeX, which supports multiple scripts. (I know this from experience, as
one of the editorial team of such a dictionary, although I think we are
only using Hebrew and Greek as well as Latin, plus perhaps some Cyrillic
for translation examples.) They are in the same position as SIL. (Much
of our editorial team is SIL, but that's another matter.)

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/