[b-hebrew] Re: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 13, Issue 12

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jan 19 18:29:12 EST 2004

On 19/01/2004 14:39, Bill Rea wrote:

>Peter wrote:-
>

>>But, though you may not realise it in
>>beautiful but far-away Christchurch (I was there last January), the
>>world is multilingual and we simply can't all communicate with
>>ISO-8859-1.
>>

>Sheesh, I asked you to hold the gratuitous insults and you throw me
>another one!

Well, sorry, but I was complimenting your home city at the same time.

>Peter also wrote:-
>

>>I guess you will say Latex, which is also free. Well, 20+ years
>>ago I too used this kind of batch processing (remember nroff?) to
>>produce formatted English text. Then I discovered WYSIWYG word
>>processing, and have never looked back since. I can do WYSIWYG Hebrew
>>word processing with OpenOffice and MS Office, and typesetting with MS
>>Publisher. Why should I go back to the dark ages of batch processing?
>>

>I suggest you really do read the arguments regarding systems like TeX or
>LaTeX as opposed to any WYSIWYG word processor you care to name. All your
>comment above shows is that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'll ignore the gratuitous insult  :-) and ask you to send me some such
arguments. I honestly don't know any which hold a drop of water. I did
the Google search which Trevor suggested, and the only relevant article
on the first page was the one I named, which quoted a few arguments
against WYSIWYG and comprehensively demolished them.

But maybe the point is that I am doing something a bit different. I
don't care too much about high quality typesetting, PDFs generated by
Word or OpenOffice are good enough for me. I am looking for easily
usable tools for working with Hebrew and other text. I don't want
gobbledegook codes in my face, I want to see what my output is going to
look like. And so does most of the world - look at why Windows and Mac
together conquered the world, and Linux could only begin to fight back
when it got a decent GUI.

Maybe it's difficult for you Unix geeks (I don't mean that as an insult,
honest!) to understand, but not everyone's ideal user interface is a
command line prompt.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/