[b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jan 19 15:46:03 EST 2004

On 19/01/2004 12:26, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>>If it is
>>voiced, how can I decide whether sheva is voiced or not in
>>any word of
>>this pattern?
>>

>You would have to know whether the consonant should be lengthened. If
>it's a verbal inflection, you would know based on parsing. Even if it's
>not, you could generally tell by the preceding vowel.

I am sure that if there had been a real pronunciation distinction here
the Masoretes would have found a way to indicate it. All this
half-lengthening stuff sounds like 19th century German
over-classification (and it does come from Gesenius).

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/