[b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jan 19 10:10:04 EST 2004

On 19/01/2004 06:22, Ken Penner wrote:

>I guess I don't understand why someone who (1) has the technology to use the
>Unicode characters Peter suggested, and (2) is familiar enough with Tiberian
>phonology and orthography to appreciate your system would use
>transliteration rather than Hebrew script.

Good questions, Ken. I can't answer for Trevor, but from my point of
view I was thinking of:

1) Users (e.g. of Windows 98, Mac even in the latest versions) who have
the technology for LTR Unicode characters, but not for Hebrew;

2) Users who have basic familiarity with Hebrew script but find it
easier to work with transliterated texts;

3) Mixed audiences, some of whom are familiar with Hebrew script and so
can appreciate the fine points of this transliteration, others of whom
are not familiar with it and so can be advised to ignore dots,
subscripts etc.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/