[b-hebrew] Hebrew transliteration

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Jan 19 09:32:47 EST 2004

On 19/01/2004 06:04, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>

>>And so for the Masoretic
>>pronunciation
>>perhaps we have some kind of perpetual Qere, with the
>>pronunciation as
>>if there is one lengthened lamed; so we would have unchanged
>>Ketiv HLLW
>>YH but Qere HAL.W. YAH.
>>

>This seems like a stretch to me. Wouldn't we expect rather to see no
>nikkud on one or the other lamed? I seem to remember seeing this in
>comparable situations, ...

Yes, you are probably right. The comparable situation you may have seen
is the extra unpointed shin in Issachar.

>I'm also not crazy about using boldface to indicate consonantal
>lengthening. The problem is that I can't think of an attractive
>alternative. I did consider using caps, but I hate to do that, both for
>the ugly appearance and for the possible confusion with other systems
>that use caps to indicate emphatic consonants (a system that I like,
>BTW, for ASCII environments). If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
>appreciate it. ...

How about a dot above, U+0307? This has the advantage of fitting
reasonably well with every upper case base consonant, as it can go
beside the ascenders of b, d etc, and you don't need it on i or j, or f,
where there might be a problem. See for example the reference glyphs in
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1E00.pdf, which has most of the
combinations needed precomposed, even dots above s acute and s caron
(1E65/1E67). The only remaining problem case is l (small L) with dot
above; for this you could substitute l with middle dot, 0140.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/