[b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 a declaration or a question?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Fri Dec 31 14:53:34 EST 2004

Dear Karl,

>Where in 1 Samuel 11:12 is there an unmarked
>interrogatory? I translate it as follows:
>
>And the people said unto Samuel, “Who is the one
>who said that Saul will be king upon us? Allow
>us that we may cause them to die.”
>
>MY - Who...? - is a marked question. Statements make up the rest of the verse.

HH: Karl, your translation makes no sense in the
context. There were those who challenged the
right of Saul to rule, and these people deserved
to die in the thinking of many. But Saul said
that no one was to die that day, since he had
just won a great victory with God's help:

12 The people then said to Samuel, "Who was it
that asked, 'Shall Saul reign over us?' Bring
these men to us and we will put them to death."
     13 But Saul said, "No one shall be put to
death today, for this day the LORD has rescued
Israel." (NIV)

HH: The challenge to Saul's rule came earlier:

1Sam. 10:27 But some troublemakers said,  "How
can this fellow save us?" They despised him and
brought him no gifts. But Saul kept silent.

HH: So the people quoted those who questioned
Saul's rule, not those who approved of Saul's
rule. Let's look at a few other translations:
Here is the New American Standard Bible:

12Then the people said to Samuel, "(R)Who is he
that said, 'Shall Saul reign over us?' (S)Bring
the men, that we may put them to death."

HH: Here is the Jewish Publication Society translation:

11:12 And the people said unto Samuel: 'Who is he
that said: Shall Saul reign over us? bring the
men, that we may put them to death.'

HH:Here is the New American Bible:

2 The people then said to Samuel: "Who questioned
whether Saul should rule over us? Hand over the
men and we will put them to death."

HH: Here is the New Revised Standard Bible:

2 The people said to Samuel, "Who is it that
said, "Shall Saul reign over us?' Give them to us
so that we may put them to death." 1

HH: All these Bibles takes the words as a
question, so they agree with Gesenius. And don't
accuse them all of copying Gesenius, since that
was also the KJV interpretation. The KJV
translators preceded Gesenius by a long time:

12 And the people said unto Samuel, Who is he
that said, Shall Saul reign over us? bring the
men, that we may put them to death. (King James
Version)

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard