[b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

Vadim Cherny vadim_lv at center-tv.net
Fri Dec 31 12:04:52 EST 2004

>  However, I believe that the ancients were very
> sensitive to this syntactical feature, and I suspect it is at least partly
> responsible for the likes of Rashi who interpreted Pro 5:16 as expressing
> the hope that one's disciples would increase.

In fact, ancient syntax was so strict as to introduce residual difference in
verb and noun accent.

But I don't see how that point justifies the translation "let." It seems to
me that the implied word is "when":

Drink water of your own cistern (adhere to your religion)
[when] your springs will be dispersed abroad
let them be only your own (don't share your wisdom with Gentiles)

Vadim Cherny