[b-hebrew] Re:morpho-syntax, was Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 11:23:40 EST 2004

B-Haverim,

I wanted to mention an anecdote...

I was talking with Alviero Niccacci, who taught an advanced level course in
BH.  His approach to BH is quite sensitive to the meaning of word order, and
particularly the position of the finite verb, that is, whether the finite
verb is in the first or second position within its clause.  For instance, he
will generally interpret a clause-initial yiqtol form as volitional.  He
mentioned to me that he had a difficult time with his advanced students
because they had not been trained to pay attention to syntax, and he felt
that he had to waste time trying to create new, more informed habits.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church