[b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 31 06:49:49 EST 2004

On 31/12/2004 02:47, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

> HH: There is no problem with the verb meaning "be dispersed." It is a
> metonymy. ...

I agree that there is a metonymy or extended sense of the verb. The
difference would be that a metonymy would be an occasional extension of
the meaning, and an extended sense would be something regular. Well, I
see three possible metonymies at work here: the one apparent in many of
the following translations; the slightly different one proposed by Karl;
and my suggested metonymy from "be dispersed" to "dry up". I wonder on
what grounds, except for tradition, you can be so confident that your
metonymy is the correct one.

> ... The springs signify the water that comes from the springs. The NIV
> has it correctly:
>
> Should your springs overflow in the streets,

Correct, maybe, but not they don't necessarily recognise a metonymy. In
BDB there are two different roots PWC, one glossed as "be dispersed,
scattered", and the other as "flow, overflow", with this verse and Zec
1:17 given as examples. But then this is more likely an extended sense
than a separate root.

> The HCSB has:
>
> Should your springs flow in the streets.

The same applies here. Presumably the question mark has been dropped.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/