[b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Dec 30 20:44:51 EST 2004

On 31/12/2004 01:26, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

>> Or could the verb have a meaning in this context something like "dry
>> up" or "depart from"? If so, there is a reasonable non-interrogative
>> interpretation.
>

> HH: PUC means be dispersed, be scattered.

If it can only mean precisely that, then the traditional interpretation
is just as impossible as you consider Karl's to be. Just as "Nobody
disperses channels of water away from someone's eyes", nobody disperses
or scatters springs outwards. I suppose springs may be dispersed in
geographical location, but that cannot work as any kind of modal as
their geographical locations are fixed. So we have to work with some
kind of extension of the meaning. In the context of water from springs,
the metaphorical extenstion from the spring water being dispersed i.e.
not welling up in distinct springs to the springs drying up seems to me
a rather probable one.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/