[b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Dec 30 18:02:04 EST 2004

At 06:47 PM 12/30/2004, you wrote:

>This is not the first time that you have stated this.  The first time I
>let it pass,

magnanimous of you!

>  but you persist in repeating what is factually incorrect.

well it seems you are right; my memory failed me and so when I checked the
grammars, the copulative is required.  My bad.

>There is no hendiadys involved here.  To qualify as hendiadys there must
>be a copula between the two terms.  Absent a copula this is not
>hendiadys.

so it seems.  Nonetheless (you knew that was coming) the translation
"wonderful counselor" is still more efficient than "wonderful, counselor"
as a reflection of the participle and the noun.

>Yes, I know.  This is a TERRIBLE error!  He references the English
>versification rather than the Hebrew!  He should be drawn and quartered.
>Seriously now, this may be an incorrect practice, but if you know that
>the systems differ then I would say it is NBD (no big deal).  Do try to
>not be utterly pedantic.

Exactly and absolutely!  And i'll let the last sentence pass and chalk it
up to the fact that you didn't eat a proper dinner.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog