[b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 30 16:16:01 EST 2004

Dear Karl,

I think whenever `ayin appears in the dual it means "eyes," but whenever it
appears in the plural it means "springs."  Hence if we re-vowel the word in
Pro 5:16 to read me`eynoteyka it means "from your springs" not "from your
eyes."  When `ayin is singular, context will have to tell whether it means
"eye" or "spring."

I vote leaving the MT as is and wrestling with whether Pro 5:16 is a
question or a hope.

Shalom,
Bryan

you wrote:

Harold:

It is precisely because I had difficulty with the traditional meaning that I
even considered a different reading. That is why I asked if there is a
grammatical reason not to read it as such, not what does tradition say. By
tradition, I include the Masoritic pointing.

There is no grammatical indication that this is a question.

The context indicates that a man should be looking at his wife only, not at
other women, which should "be dispersed from his eyes". My reading keeps the
grammar as standard instead of changing to a grammatically non-standard
question and fits the context. Is there any grammatical point that I
overlook?

Karl W. Randolph.