[b-hebrew] Proverbs 5:16 - a declaration or a question ?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Dec 30 14:29:49 EST 2004

Harold:

It is precisely because I had difficulty with the traditional meaning that I even considered a different reading. That is why I asked if there is a grammatical reason not to read it as such, not what does tradition say. By tradition, I include the Masoritic pointing.

There is no grammatical indication that this is a question.

The context indicates that a man should be looking at his wife only, not at other women, which should “be dispersed from his eyes”. My reading keeps the grammar as standard instead of changing to a grammatically non-standard question and fits the context. Is there any grammatical point that I overlook?

Karl W. Randolph.