[b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Dec 30 12:14:25 EST 2004

On 30/12/2004 15:30, Jim West wrote:

> the Vulgate has "Admirabilis, consiliarus" (and hence is the origin of
> the common contained in the KJV)

I might have ignored this parenthesis, but in his follow-up Jim seemed
to think it was the key point...

Was this comma really in the original version of the Vulgate, or was it
added by a later editor? If so, how much later? After the KJV? It is not
in the Vulgate text which I have, but then this has no punctuation which
is probably an accurate reflection of what Jerome penned.

So this question has not been answered, although perhaps shifted from
the KJV translators to some anonymous Vulgate editors.

Or is the point that the Latin "Admirabilis consiliarius" has to be
understood as two nouns in apposition (hence the comma added later)
because adjectives follow nouns in Latin? But how fixed is that rule in
the Vulgate?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/