[b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Dec 30 11:09:31 EST 2004

At 10:59 AM 12/30/2004, you wrote:
> >Is there anything which would contribute to translating one way or the
>other?
>
>I think this aspect of the question remains unanswered.

I thought this was a sufficient answer- as it shows that the KJV
understands the verse following the Vulgate, not the Hebrew text.

>The simple, straightforward exposition (translation) of the phrase in
>hebrew is "marvelous advisor" or the more common "wonderful counselor".

To be sure, participles sometimes function as nouns- but in this case it is
a "hendiadys" with the noun preceding it.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD

http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog