[b-hebrew] Isaiah 9:6 Wonderful Counselor

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Thu Dec 30 10:48:47 EST 2004

At 15:13 30/12/2004, Charles Rempel wrote:

>The words for Wonderful Counselor in Isaiah 9:6 are translated without a
>comma in the NASB and with a comma in KJV. I haven't learned the conventions
>for writing Hebrew here, so I'll just say that the word for Wonderful is a
>common noun masculine singular and the the word for counselor is Qal
>participle masculine singular. I know that th Qal participle is used in a
>nominative sense and so could be translatd as a separate characteristic of
>Christ. Is there anything which would contribute to translating one way or
>the other?

Charles:
As recently as Sept  of this year, this topic arose on the list.

At that time  I pointed out [posting of Sept 14 ]:
Blenkinsopp,  [Joseph, trans. Isaiah 1-39. 19. Anchor Bible, Albright, W.F;
Freedman, David Noel. New York: Doubleday, 2000.] chooses the translation "
Marvellous Counselor " but footnotes it: >> it is not clear how >pele< (
wonder, miracle ) and >yo'ets< ( counselor) relate syntactically
since >pele< is a substantive, not an adjective; the uncertainty is
reflected in the versions.<<

Perhaps it was this syntactical puzzle which led the translators of the
Jerusalem Bible ( and the translator of the New Jerusalem Bible to follow
suit ) to render the four throne names as: "Wonder-Counsellor, Mighty-God,
Eternal-Father, Prince-of-Peace"

BTW, I see that the JPS Tanakh (1985 edition and the revised e-edition of
1997) renders 9:5b:
 >> he has been named "The Mighty God is planning grace ; The Eternal
Father, a peaceable ruler" <<
with a cross-reference to Is. 25:1

Additionally, another posting ( ? from "Harold R. Holmyard III" ) read:

and on this poinrt,  Blenkinsopp writes:
 >>  >'abi'ad< "Eternal Father", is a rare but not unattested formation (
cf. Hab 3:6  >harere-'ad< "eternal mountains" )

mauros at iol.ie