[b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Wed Dec 29 14:26:13 EST 2004

On 12/29/04 9:26 AM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
>> 4) R)$ is a construct but N&Y) is not, and the two nouns are appositive to
>> each other, yielding the reading "prince Gog, head of Meshek and Tubal." I
>> view #4 as the most likely, given the considerations I will outline or refer
>> to below.
>
> This is only an option if you ignore the Masoretic pointing, which
> clearly has N:&IY) as a construct. While I would expect Karl to ignore
> this, I don't expect you to, Christopher, especially as you quote this
> pointing extensively.

Hmmm, you're right. I was so focused on the collocation of N&Y) and R)$ that
I overlooked the significance of the vowel reduction. That doesn't
necessarily convince me that RO)$ is a toponym in Ezek 38:2f.; 39:1, but it
does mean that the parallels in Numbers are not on point. I'm going to have
to rethink the whole issue ... After I finish writing this syllabus. :-)

Thanks for "pointing" out what I had overlooked, Peter.

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion