[b-hebrew] Ezekiel 38:2f.; 39:1

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 29 12:26:37 EST 2004

On 29/12/2004 04:49, Heard, Christopher wrote:

>It seems to me there is at least one more option, which I will call:
>
>4) R)$ is a construct but N&Y) is not, and the two nouns are appositive to
>each other, yielding the reading "prince Gog, head of Meshek and Tubal." I
>view #4 as the most likely, given the considerations I will outline or refer
>to below.

This is only an option if you ignore the Masoretic pointing, which
clearly has N:&IY) as a construct. While I would expect Karl to ignore
this, I don't expect you to, Christopher, especially as you quote this
pointing extensively.

>In my view, your options #2 and #3 are unlikely. As corroborative data, I
>note that in the two verses from Numbers--remember that the two verses from
>Numbers and the three from Ezekiel are the only places in the Tanakh where a
>form of N&Y) immediately follows a form of RO)$--it is clear that HANN:&IYIM
>is in the absolute state and RF)$"Y is in the construct state.

And it is clear that in Ezekiel the construction is a different one, a
construct followed by what might be either an absolute or a construct.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/