[b-hebrew] Hagah and Siyach

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Dec 27 21:56:24 EST 2004

The way I see it, there really isn't anything special about these terms.

HGH has the basic meaning of "to mutter". In the days before silent reading was common, most people muttered outloud as they read, so it was also used in reference to reading to oneself.

%YX to talk to oneself, putting one’s thoughts into words, hence also to speak softly

There's a certain amount of crossover between the two terms, in other words some times it doesn't matter which term is used. An example of where the terms are used for basically the same idea is Psalm 143:5, as part of poetic parallelism.

Karl W. Randolph.