[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 24 11:39:41 EST 2004

Jim wrote, only about four hours ago but many messages ago:

> as to Nehemiah- he's as fictional as Moses and Abraham; and fictional
> people don't write books, they are the subject of them.

In fact I would think that Nehemiah has a better claim to existence than
almost anyone in the Hebrew Bible, apart from the few foreign kings
named in other sources. There was certainly a series of Persian
governors of Judea during the Achaemenid period, but their names are
mostly not recorded elsewhere. These governors were I believe commonly
from the governed ethnic group. So it is highly likely that Artaxerxes
would have appointed as governor a trusted Jew from his private
household. The name Nehemiah is a very likely one for this Persian
period, and is recorded for two other individuals from this period but
not in any other period. So, even if the book is not genuinely
Nehemiah's memoir, there is a very good chance that it was attributed to
a well-known and respected Persian governor of the time.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/