[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 24 11:27:38 EST 2004

On 24/12/2004 15:58, Jim West wrote:

> You apparently have a very odd view of what inspiration is.  The
> school statement says nothing about the heretical doctrine of verbal
> plenary inspiration. ...

Nor did I. But, Jim, if the Bible is "truth, without any mixture of
error", do you accept the truth of the statements "she became pregnant
and gave birth to a son" and "She named him Moses" in Exodus 2:1,10, or
do you consider them to be in error because Moses did not exist?

> ... But again, this is a bit far afield for this list.  Currently we
> are discussing authorship.  Now it is your task to demonstrate a) that
> the Hebrew Bible names authors ...

I have already demonstrated this.

> ... and b) that those putative authors / biblical characters existed.

No. My claim is simply that there are authorship claims within the
Hebrew Bible, something which you denied. I am not making any claim that
the authorship claims are true, although others are doing so. The next
step is to examine the truth of these claims in a neutral scholarly
manner. But of course you are unable to do so because you are a priori
bound by your Doctrinal Statement to accept any such claims as "truth,
without any mixture of error". No wonder, I suppose, that you are
reluctant to accept the existence of such claims, since if they are true
they imply that the author existed.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/