[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Dec 24 10:58:54 EST 2004

At 10:51 AM 12/24/2004, you wrote:

>I see that your Quartz Hill School of Theology (http://www.theology.edu/)
>has a Doctrinal Statement which starts as follows:
>
>>The Bible was written by men divinely inspired and is the record of God's
>>revelation of Himself to humanity. It is a perfect treasure of divine
>>instruction. It has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth,
>>without any mixture of error for its matter.

>It seems strange that you can work within the framework while believing,
>or even holding as a scholarly conclusion, that major Bible figures did
>not exist.

You apparently have a very odd view of what inspiration is.  The school
statement says nothing about the heretical doctrine of verbal plenary
inspiration.  But again, this is a bit far afield for this list.  Currently
we are discussing authorship.  Now it is your task to demonstrate a) that
the Hebrew Bible names authors and b) that those putative authors /
biblical characters existed.

You can attempt to evade this responsibility by hopping up and down and
pointing fingers and sliding into ad hominem notions of inspiration- but
you are still bearing the burden of proof.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Quartz Hill School of Theology