[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 24 07:14:44 EST 2004

On 24/12/2004 12:05, Jim West wrote:

> I think what some are missing is the simple fact that the books of the
> Hebrew Bible NEVER claim authorship by anyone!  Anywhere!  The
> superscriptions are centuries later.

Jim, what you seem to have missed is that some books, although not
Genesis of course, are written in the first person, e.g. Nehemiah and
the bulk of Deuteronomy (not of course the last chapter), or have other
internal authorship claims, e.g. those in Jeremiah already mentioned. In
fact a large part of all the prophetic books (except for Jonah) consists
of material explicitly attributed to the prophet, although there is no
indication of who collected and redacted the material. You don't have to
accept these authorship claims if you don't want to, but you shouldn't
ignore them.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/