[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Fri Dec 24 06:42:07 EST 2004

On 24/12/2004 02:10, Jim West wrote:

> At 08:23 PM 12/23/2004, you wrote:
>
>> If we're seriously going to search the OT for the author or authors
>> we first must find and separate all colophons in Genesis.  Are you game?
>>
>> Doug Pickrel
>> Tejas Valley
>> San Antonio, TX
>

> I don't think I am.  There is not a single solitary book in the whole
> of the Hebrew Bible that names an author.  And I don't care what the
> colophons of various manuscripts say to the contrary.  Hence, your
> "authors" will all be imaginary- like the characters of Tolkeins books
> or Lewis's chronicles of Narnia.

Jim, I think you are being needlessly offensive in comparing biblical
characters with characters in fictional works. Can't we leave it that we
are unsure about authorship of biblical books? We don't need to bring in
the quite separate allegation that the characters themselves are imaginary.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/