[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Fri Dec 24 02:01:12 EST 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 13:53, Jim West wrote:
> At 11:36 AM 12/23/2004, you wrote:
> >All of this is simply evidence that Genesis has undergone some kind of
> >redaction or editing since Moses' time. None of it is evidence against the
> >hypothesis that the text as we have it is substantially as written by
> >Moses, with some updating of the language and of place names.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that you think Moses wrote Genesis and that it has
> since been redacted?  Moses wrote Genesis?  Really?  One question.  Where
> in the text of Genesis does it say anywhere who wrote it?

Is this the only possible criterion for determining who wrote a book?  All of
the Pauline epistles say right in the header that they were written by Paul,
yet you deny Pauline authorship of several of them, so apparently this
criterion isn't exact either.  ISTM that requiring Moses' signature (so to
speak) before accepting the possibility is a bit anachronistic in itself,
requiring a fairly modern concept in an ancient document.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur