[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Dec 23 18:25:39 EST 2004

On 23/12/2004 20:22, Vadim Cherny wrote:

>... Do you
>know of any language exhibiting tendency to adopt the loand words into
>fixed-length root mould?

Yes. All of the Semitic languages, and Berber and probably Egyptian as well.

>And why would naturally emerging words
>a. conform to fixed-length roots
>b. have regular patterns in root construction (such as, again, further in
>alphabet is the third radical, lighter is the meaning: not for all roots,
>but beyond coincidence)

Why not?

>Uh, I argue for long time now that four-letter nouns with initial taw are
>frozen hifil verbs, t+rgm.

Possibly. That is not a new hypothesis. I'm sure you could explain all
quadriliterals as adapted triliterals if you wanted, but unless you can
prove this your reasoning is in danger of becoming circular.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/