[b-hebrew] logograms--an ode to Hebrew

Stoney Breyer stoneyb at touchwood.net
Thu Dec 23 12:00:12 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Peter Kirk
>>Third, Derrida says that the written word preceded the spoken. I never

>>understood this tho, but maybe you do.
>
>Does he really say this? ...
>Or is he speaking in some kind of riddle?

It's been decades since I read Derrida, but as I recall it's a sort of
myth for denying that the written word should be treated as an
inadequate substitute for the spoken word. Writing has an ambiguous
presence very different - and not derivative - from the 'real presence'
of spoken logos. It's all very Philosophical: as you say, a kind of
riddle.

Stoney Breyer
Writer/touchwood